I am pleased to report that I have just signed a book contract to publish Academic Journals in Biblical Studies: Their Value, Use, and Misuse. Most of the book is written already, but I will be sending out a survey to select academics that will provide me with some invaluable data. (My plan is that the survey will eventually be open to any interested academic who emails me and has published at least one peer-reviewed journal article in the relevant disciplines.) The publisher is Cambridge Scholars Publishing, not formally affiliated with Cambridge University but initially created by Cambridge alumni [and for the record, they do not charge authors for anything]. I intend to have the book completed and submitted to them by October 1st, 2027, if the Lord allows.
The working outline is as follows (though I may be moving chapters 3 and 4 more towards the end of the book):
Chapter 1--Academic Journals: What Are They and Why Should You Care?
Chapter 2--Writing for Peer-Reviewed Journals
Chapter 3--A Methodology for Determining Rankings for Academic Journals
Chapter 4--Ranking the Journals [a four-tiered ranking system, drawing from data from the survey, among other things]. This will improve on my current list, found here.
Chapter 5--What Do You Owe the Writer? A Respectful Challenge to Editors and Peer-Reviewers
Chapter 6--The Use and Abuse of Journals as Personal Metrics
Chapter 7--The Case against Journals that Charge Authors Money
Chapter 8---Conclusion
Appendix 1--The Survey
Appendix 2--The Survey Data
Appendix 3 [?]--Some Personal, Subjective Observations on Writing for Academic Journals
No comments:
Post a Comment